Saturday, January 12, 2008

Mamarama and The Case of the Mystery Prize



In the post prior to this I posed a query to you my wondrous and loyal readers, and one woman stepped forward with an answer, that answer earned Mamarama the Mystery Prize!!

Now I have not received a straight answer from my most clever reader about whether she knew this speech or knew how to interface the variety of free search engines at her disposal. The point is she came up with the answer first and she got to choose the next topic I wrote about so without further ado:



Primordial Dwarfism and you:


MODERN humans wiped out the hobbit-sized people who lived on the Indonesian island of Flores, research suggests.

Remains of at least 13 members of the little species, Homo floresiensis, who were about a metre tall, were unearthed in Liang Bua between 2001 and 2004. The hobbits lived there from 95,000 to 12,000 years ago when a layer of volcanic ash filled the cave.

The tool-making Homo floresiensis which had a brain only the size of a chimpanzee, is thought to have evolved from a small, primitive human ancestor similar to australopithecines such as "Lucy", who lived 3 million years ago in Africa.

While 100,000 years does not exactly make a thing primordial you have to admit this is pretty close right? =~)

Ok my bad here you go:

The first person documented as being a primordial dwarf was Karen Kachami an italian performer travelling with a side show through London in 1823 with a man known as Dr Giligan.
Karen was estimated to have lived only nine years and was nineteen and a half inches tall.

My personal favorite primordial dwarf is Weng-Weng, a philipino actor and martial artist who passed unto the infinite in the early 90s.



WENG WENG RULES!!!
Satisfied Mamarama?
DF

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was just too bizarre, and _I_ asked for it! I didn't know some of the history you uncovered, but wow...I'm pleased I chose a topic that even came with a martial arts visual via youtube. weng, weng is sheer brilliance (and sexy, too)!

Anonymous said...

http://www.mamaramatv.blogspot.com/

Df Killswitch said...

You did ask for it!! Something I didnt touch on is my thought that the two are linked, that perhaps the early hobbits carried a recessive gene, and lets face it there had to be interbreeding!!

I will add the link to your blog to your name

Glad you liked it =)